Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Homesickness is Real.

The theme of my life lately has been homesick.
Some days I come home and just cry for a bit thinking of how much I miss my friends and family in Northville. Moving away from home and being in a new (big!) city isn't all it's cracked up to be. I tend to have this twisted knot feeling in my stomach when I think of home, which is pretty much daily. I've had to come up with some coping mechanisms for those times I get so upset I can barely breathe.


1. Yoga
My savior has been the Bikram Yoga studio that is just down the street from me. I brought a Groupon package from them several months back and I am addicted. It's one of the few places I can go and turn off my mind, I go in and just sweat it out. Even if I can't make it all the way throgh the poses, I can lay down in the heat and just relax without thinking about anything. I'm not sad, not happy, just content in the moment.

2. I like to wear something that reminds me of home
Weather it's my peplum domino and dice printed shirt I bought with my friend Amanda at a boutique in Detroit (if you're ever there, check out the Peacock Room across from the DIA. It's incredible!), or a simple State Traditions hat, I can have something on my body that reminds me of home. 

3. Pamper yourself!
My favorite thing to do when I am upset is to sit back and take a break from everything. Paint my nails, soak my feet. Lately I've been loving this charcoal polishing mask from Freeman. I use it both as a mask before my shower and as a scrub in he shower, it leaves my skin glowing!

4. Read
With the warm weather knocking on our doorstep I have been loving sitting on the porch with a cold drink and a good book. Nothing takes my mind away from the present like a good book. Lately I've read, A House in the Sky and Between Shades of Grey. Both are excellent books.

How do you deal with homesickness?

No comments:

Post a Comment